July 19, 2010

Hawaiian Pork Burgers


We really should use our grill more often. It's just too dang hot out there right now.   I love almost anything off the grill.  And it's sad to say but my husband just showed me how to use the grill for the first time. This is my first meal where I've been the grillmaster and not depended on him.  I'm very proud of myself but shame on me for waiting so long.  There are so many possibilities for tasty meals off the grill.  

When the subject of grilling comes up, I think of grilled cheesy dogs, asparagus,  zucchini, squash, pineapple, peaches, beer can chicken, kabobs and burgers.  (In that order too.)  I have a weak spot in my heart for almost burnt cheesy dogs.  Other than that, I only eat hot dogs at baseball stadiums.  Is that weird??  Oh well. 

I've never had a pork burger until now.  I thought this would make a tasty version.  At first it was weird since I'm use to medium well meat.  So when I look down and saw the light color of the pork, it grossed me out at first.  I kept thinking it was undercooked.  I got over it.  It was delicious!!  Enjoy!

1 lb ground pork
2 tbsp pineapple juice
1/3 c red bell pepper, finely diced
1/3 c yellow bell pepper, finely diced
1/3 c green bell pepper, finely diced
1/3 cup teriyaki sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

In a medium bowl thoroughly combine teriyaki sauce, pineapple juice, all bell peppers, salt and pepper. Add pork and gently bring all the ingredients together with your hands; do not over-work the meat. With dampened hands, form pork mixture into 4 patties of even thickness, or make 6 smaller patties, if desired. Transfer patties to a lined baking sheet, cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Light the grill or preheat the broiler. Cook patties, turning each carefully with a spatula once, for about 6 minutes per side, or until just cooked through.

I served on a whole wheat bun with spicy mustard and lettuce.  The spicy mustard went really nice with the flavor.

No comments: