July 3, 2010

Citrus Lunch


It's been a few months since the girls and I have had a chance to get together over delicious homemade food and girl talk.  Our fabulous friend, Lesley, finally took the lead and scheduled a lunch at her place with the theme being Citrus.  This was a perfect idea for the sweltering summer in Texas.  I was really excited about it and went through several recipes and ideas in my head of what I would make.  Everything we made went so well together and we really explored the spectrum of citrus more than I expected. Citrus flavors such as lemon, lime, orange and tangerine were featured.  I loved everything but I think my new friend, Alice, has a special place in my heart with this round.  She made the dish that leaves something delectable and memorable on my tastebuds.  Her lemon crepes were so amazing!  You can eat them for breakfast, lunch or dinner.  The lemon sauce is not too tart or too sweet.  It's just right.  Alice, I'm still waiting on that recipe.  ;p


Pictured in order below starting top left:
Stephanie - Margarita Shrimp Tacos
Lesley - Tomato Zucchini Augratin
Elisabeth - Tangerine Sorbet
Alice - Lemon Crepes
Chrystal - White Wine Sangria & Caribbean Chicken Salad w/Jerk Lime Dressing (see my recipes below)





White Citrus Sangria


1/2 c sugar
3/4 c orange-flavored liquer or orange juice (I used Contrieu)
3/4 c vodka or lemon-lime carbonated beverage (I used vodka)
2 medium nectarines, thinly slices
1 medium orange, thinly sliced
1 lemon, thinly sliced
1 lime, thinly sliced
1 bottle dry white wine or white grape juice, chilled (I used wine)
1 liter club soda chilled

In a half gallon pitcher, stir sugar, orange liqueur and vodka until sugar is dissolved.   Add the fruit and wine.  Refrigerate until serving.  Just before serving, pour the club soda into pitcher and stir gently to mix.  Serve over ice if desired. 


Caribbean Chicken Salad
Feel free to add 1 diced, peeled mango if you want. I also believe pineapple chunks and/or shredded coconut would make this a true Caribbean recipe.  Try it out and let me know!  I am going to try those additions next time.

Dressing:
2 containers (6oz each) fat free Pina Colada Yogurt
1 1/2 tsp Jerk Seasoning
juice of 2 limes

Salad:
3 c shredded romaine lettuce (1 large bunch)
2 c shredded cooked chicken
1 can (15oz) black beans, rinsed & drained
1-2 medium chopped and seeded tomatoes
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 c cashews
2 c shredded colby-jack cheese, divided

In a small bowl, mix all the dressing ingredients until well blended.  Cover and refrigerate while preparing the salad.

In a 4 qt clear glass trifle or serving bowl, layer the salad ingredients.  Lettuce, chicken, black beans, 1 c cheese, tomatoes, remaining 1 cheese and green onions.  Pour half of the dressing evenly over salad then sprinkle cashews on top.  Serve the remaining dressing on the side with the salad.  Makes 6 healthy servings.

No comments: