July 30, 2010

Healthy Greek Thin-Crust Pizza


Pizza is on the list of foods that I would eat everyday and be totally content.  I've always said it includes the 4 food groups that they beat into our brains growing up.  (Crust=Bread, Cheese=Dairy, Pepperoni or Sausage=Meat,  Mushrooms or Tomatoes from the sauce=Vegetable)

I bought the Pillsbury thin-crust pizza dough to try.  I have tried the regular pizza dough and it's too thick and doughy in my opinion.   The thin-crust cooked perfectly.  It was crispy but not too thin or dry.   I had just a few ingredients on hand that I just threw on to see what it would taste like.  I didn't add a sauce because I didn't have any and really didn't think it needed much with all the flavor in the toppings.  Pizza is all about personalizing to make it your own and put whatever you like on it.   Here's my tasty creation.  I hope you enjoy!!

2 tbsp olive oil
1 pkg Pillsbury thin-crust pizza dough
1 tsp garlic, minced
1 tsp dried oregano or Italian seasoning
1/4 c sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
1 pkg frozen spinach, thawed and drained
1/4 c parmesan cheese, shredded
1/4 c mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/4 c feta cheese
pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray and roll dough out.   Drizzle dough with about 1 tablespoon olive oil, dried oregano or Italian seasoning, parmesan and mozzarellla cheese.  Bake for 5 minutes (I believe that is what is directed on package but double check.) 

Take the crust out of the oven and add the toppings.  Spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, minced garlic, feta cheese.  Sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Drizzle about a tablespoon of olive oil on top.  Bake for 8 minutes or whatever package says.  Slice sicilian-style (squares) and enjoy!

No comments: