July 26, 2010

Cannoli Ice Cream



We were in the mood for something cool and sinful this weekend.  My husband suggested that he whip up a batch of ice cream.   I wasn't going to argue.  This is the first time he's made ice cream this summer.  He usually makes a few batches every year and we share the majority of it with friends.  In the past he's made flavors such as coffee, cheesecake, cinnamon oatmeal cookie dough, chocolate peanut butter swirl, honey ice cream and more that I can't recall.  My favorite has been the cinnamon oatmeal cookie dough so far.  It's very similar to the Ben & Jerry's version in my opinion.  It was not only my favorite due to the fact that I made the cookie dough but my husband is an amazing ice cream maker.  Also, oatmeal cookies are my fave as well as anything with cinnamon!   I'd love to hear your recipes & suggestions for a crazy concoction. What other ice cream should he make? 

He's not positive where he found the original recipe he adapted or else I'd give props.  If you love cannolis you'll love this. The recipe only makes a small batch so it's perfect for a sinful treat in a small dose or to double to share.  Some sort of cookie crumble over the top would be good in my opinion.


Cannoli Ice Cream
1 3/4 c whole milk ricotta cheese
2/3 c sugar
2/3 c heavy cream
1/2 tsp Grand Marnier (you can substitute with frozen orange juice concentrate)
zest of one small lemon
pinch of kosher or sea salt
1/4 c pistachios, chopped
1/4 c mini chocolate chips

In a food processor, combine the ricotta, lemon zest, sugar, and vanilla until well blended.  With cover on and blade spinning, slowly pour in the heavy cream.  Add the Grand Marnier.  Place the mixture in a bowl, and place that bowl in a larger bowl filled with ice water.  Set in the refrigerator until thoroughly chilled.

Churn in your ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s directions.   Mix in pistachios and chocolate chips after ice cream has firmed up a bit.  Place in a container in freezer until firm.  Makes about 2 pints.  

No comments: