October 15, 2012

Welcome Fall with an Apple Braid


I try to take shortcuts as much as I can while in the kitchen to save time.  It's worth it to have more time to spend on another dish or to visit with friends and family.  I've learned over the years that the last thing I want to do while I have visitors is to slave away in the kitchen, sweating and stressing out while everyone else is relaxing and enjoying the meal.  I'll still slave away as needed but where I can cut it out, I go for it. 

For a shortcut, one of my favorite ingredients to use in a recipe is crescent roll dough. You can make a lot of things with this little tube of pre-made dough. Adding fruit to it to make a Danish-type dessert is so easy and the results are delicious. I used apples since fall is here and I love the homey smell of baking apples with cinnamon. The scent filling the house reminds me how much I’ve missed the cooler weather. It also makes me daydream about all the delectable treats I want to make for dinner, dessert and holidays. I love it!

Crescent Rolls are usually on sale or you can find coupons online to save money but they aren't ever that expensive.  You can find it in the refrigerated section with the pie crusts and pre-made cookie dough.  

1 tube of crescent roll dough
1 medium apple, sliced thin or diced (I used Granny Smith)
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp sugar + 1 tbsp for topping before baking
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  

In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Add in apples and stir until coated with dry ingredients. 

Press out the rectangle of the crescent roll dough onto a cookie sheet.  Make sure to press all seams together.  Pour apple mix down the center of dough, leaving a half finger length on each side.   

With a small knife, make slits down each side of dough.  Braid or fold dough over the filling so it makes a braid.  For the ends, I try to fold up and pinch the sides together so the filling doesn't run out onto the pan.  You can use the photo as a reference to how mine looked.  Sprinkle 1 tbsp sugar over top of dough.

Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.  This is perfect served warm with a maple glaze.  Or you could serve with vanilla ice cream.  Enjoy!

No comments: