January 23, 2012

Chicken Tortilla Soup


My friend, Nicole made a delicious dinner and invited me over to watch our Sunday shows together.  I don't usually like Chicken Tortilla soup because most people put things in it that I don't like.  I guess I admit that I am a bit picky.  She doesn't like cilantro either so she left that out.  I really enjoyed it!  She's made other tasty treats for me before but this has to be my top favorite so far.    It's very simple to make and versatile enough to personalize it to include ingredients you enjoy.    Try it out!

1 lb chicken breasts, cooked, shredded or cubed
1 15 oz can tomato soup
1 14.5 oz can beef broth
1 14.5 oz  can chicken broth
1 can diced tomatoes with juices
1 small can of hominy with juices (you can use corn if you prefer)
1 small diced yellow onion
cumin
paprika
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 pkg (12) Count Tortillas
1 c cheddar jack cheese, shredded

Additional Garnish Options: 
sliced avocados
cilantro

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Sprinkle a liberal amount of cumin, paprika, a little salt and pepper on chicken. Bake for about 25-30 minutes depending on thickness of chicken.

When chicken is cool enough to handle, either shred or cube then set aside.

On medium heat, in a large dutch oven stir together first 6 ingredients.  Season with 1/2 tsp cumin and 1/2 tsp paprika at first and then more if desired after you let it simmer. I always add more cumin. Salt and pepper if needed.

Add 3-4 tortillas, shredded and the chicken.

Lower heat, cover and simmer.

Over medium-high heat, in a large frying pan pour enough corn oil to cover bottom. Wait for oil to bubble/sizzle. Add sliced corn tortillas.  Flip when top starts to brown, about a minute. Remove from pan with fork or tongs and lay on plate covered with paper towels to soak up any oil.  Repeat until desired amount of tortilla strips are made.

Let soup simmer for 2-3 hours. Stirring every 30 minutes.

Serve in bowls. Garnish with tortilla strips, sliced avocados (optional), and shredded cheddar cheese.

No comments: