January 14, 2012

Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

Another soup to keep you warm.  I doubt I’m the only one who loves to make soup for those brisk cool days. I can consume a lot of soup.  A LOT!  My favorite days are when it’s cold outside and we spend all day inside to cook and eat a tasty homemade soup.  My husband and I can easily go through the whole pot of delicious soup in one day.

When I was younger, I’d enjoy nothing more than a simple, undignified can of condensed cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup on cold wintery nights.  I would add just a little water and cook in the microwave.  I liked it a little thicker than most would probably eat it.  Even after I moved out on my own, my mom would keep some cans in the pantry for when I visited.  
I don’t recall the last time I even purchased or eaten a condensed soup from a can.   I’m not sure if I’d still enjoy it as much today as my tastebuds have become a little pickier.  But I am always open to taking a nostalgic trip down memory when it comes to food.   Forgive me fellow foodies but I’m being open and honest here.   I’m sure you have your own embarrassing snacks or foods that you hate to admit you have eaten either in the past or present time.   It’s okay to admit it, as we’re all friends here. 
My husband shared with me that he remembers his father eating cream of mushroom soup, straight from the can, cold.  I haven’t confirmed if this is a current or previous occurrence.  Either way, this does not surprise me and it adds just another to the long list of reasons why I love and adore my quirky father-in-law. I’ll be sure to share this recipe with the in-laws to try out or make it for them when we see them next.
2 c chicken, shredded (I used an already cooked rotisserie chicken from the store)
1 stick butter
2 celery stalks, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 medium onion, diced
¾ c flour
4 c chicken broth
2 c water
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1 package quick cooking long grain wild rice with seasoning packet (I used Rice A Roni Wild Rice)
2 c heavy cream (optional if you don’t prefer a creamy consistency)

In a large pot over medium-high heat, melt butter then add the celery, carrots and onion.  Sauté the vegetables for 6-8 minutes or until they are tender.   Add flour and stir to coat vegetables.  Whisk in broth and water until smooth and all the flour is combined.  Stir in cooked chicken and salt and pepper to taste.  Add rice and seasoning packet. Bring to a boil.  Lower heat, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes.   Stir in heavy cream if you want a creamy soup. Taste and add more salt and pepper as needed.   Enjoy!

No comments: