January 30, 2012

Beer and Gouda Risotto

I went through a big step in my adult life.  I had 2 of my wisdom teeth removed a few days ago. (It was actually suppose to be all 4 but don't get me started on that.  Apparently the oral surgeon needs to take over on those 2.  I'll be speaking with them tomorrow about details. I'm not very happy about having to go through it again.  Plus this has been a decent experience and I'm scared I won't get lucky again.)

Anyway,  I was very anxious about it for several reasons.  A couple of things that kept my tummy in knots were, 1: I had never had any teeth removed before,  2:  I have never had anesthesia.  I had read and heard all the horror stories.  Thankfully, I remember very little about that day as I blacked in and out.  And I'm very fortunate as I haven't felt any pain.  Mainly just an uncomfortable sensation in my jaw and the extraction areas when I laugh or talk too much. My first real smiles and laughs in days were over dinner with a good friend last night.  I put my hand over my mouth and told her to stop making me laugh or even smile.  I guess my mouth isn't ready yet. 

My only real issue has been the limited food options. I've tried them all over the last few days. (Jell-O, Pudding, Slim Fast, Applesauce, Mashed Potatoes) I must say that I've discovered that French Vanilla Slim Fast is really tasty so I may keep that as an option for breakfast for a while longer.  I am relieved I have at least one side of my mouth in working order so I can move to solid food more quickly.  However, I still have to take dainty bites and chew slowly as my jaw is still a little stiff.  I should probably eat like this anyway as it seems more ladylike.  Pfft!  Who am I kidding?  How would I ever take a big healthy bite of a cheeseburger again?  So yeah that won't work out.  

I finally started getting my energy back within 48 hours afterwards. Then after another day, I was ready to cook some real food.  I decided to attempt my first risotto.  It's soft and mushy enough to handle in my fragile state.  Plus it has beer and cheese so you can't go wrong there.   I was excited out it!   It was cheesy and creamy.  You can taste a hint of the beer and the gouda danced on my tastebuds!  Enjoy my friends!

Beer and Gouda Risotto
2 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp butter
1 medium onion, diced small
1 clove garlic, minced
1 ½ cup Aborio rice
1 bottle Shiner Bock beer
4 c chicken broth
1 c Smoked Gouda, finely grated
¼ c Fontina cheese, finely grated
2 tsp fresh chives
salt and pepper to taste

Heat the olive oil and butter in a Dutch oven or large pot and saute the onion until soft, about 8 minutes.  Add the garlic, stir for 30 seconds, then stir in the rice and let it absorb the butter and olive oil, then add the beer and stir while the rice soaks it all up.
Once the beer is absorbed, add one cup of broth. Stir until the rice absorbs it. Repeat with 1 cup at a time of the broth until rice is tender. Just make sure to stir regularly and be patient while each addition of broth absorbs.  After you’ve added all the broth, season with salt and pepper to taste.  This could take up to 30 minutes or so depending on when the rice is cooked through and no longer crunchy.
Turn the heat off and stir in the Gouda and Fontina cheese.  Chop chives and garnish each single dish with them.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was so good last night that I'm making it this week myself.
Another great creation. Thank you! -Nicole