May 10, 2010

Red Beans and Rice


I have always enjoyed Red Beans and Rice.  I realized that I actually have never ordered it at a restaurant or made it at home myself.  I have taken a few bites of my husband's when he orders it.  So I thought I'd give it a whirl and boy it was tasty!  I am sad that it took so long for me to make it.  It's really easy and really REALLY good.  This has been added to our favorites to have more often.  I used smoked sausage because we had it on hand.  From my research of other recipes, some people use ham hocks or bacon for flavor.   I also had a bone from a pork shoulder left from a batch of Carnitas I made the day or 2 before.  I added it in to simmer with everything.



1 green bell pepper, diced
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 - 15oz cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 - 15 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 lb smoked sausage (or other sausage/meat of your choice)
1/2 c water
1 tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp oregano leaves
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 c cooked rice

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.  Saute sausage, onion and bell pepper until sausage is browned about 5-7 minutes.  Then add everything but the rice.  Bring to a boil.  Then turn down to medium-low, cover and simmer for at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Taste test for flavor and add more seasoning and spice as preferred.   Serve over the rice.   Makes 6 servings.  Cornbread goes really nice on the side as well.   Enjoy! 

1 comment:

Maris (In Good Taste) said...

Great simple dinner! I love cornbread, I have about a zillion recipes and bet it would be great with this!