May 25, 2010

Adobo Chicken


This is another recipe that brings me back to my childhood.  I swear that grandma Millie made this on the regular for us.  The flavors were so familiar and it's so freakin' good!  I love sweet and tangy dishes and this is definitely in that category.  I need to make this for grandma and my family when I am home visiting next time. I can't imagine it's much different than her recipe.  Look at her in the cute hat she knitted.  Kisses to you grandma!

I found out at the last minute my husband had to work late so he missed out!  (Sorry babe!)  More for me. ;p  I guess I have leftovers for lunch today.  Yay!

8 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
1 medium onion,diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
6 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
3 tbsp water
3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 bay leaf
3 c hot cooked long-grain rice

Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Add chicken to pan; saute 4 minutes on each side or until browned.  Remove chicken from pan.  Add onion to pan; saute 3 minutes.  Add garlic; saute 1 minute, stirring frequently.

Return chicken to pan.  Add soy sauce and remaining ingredients except the rice; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook 10-12 minutes.  Uncover and cook 15-20 minutes or until chicken is done and sauce thickens.  If sauce is too runny, add more honey.  If sauce is too thick, add water. Discard bay leaf.  Serve over rice.  Makes 4 servings. (2 thighs each and sauce)

No comments: