January 25, 2009

Chrystal's Chicken Curry


I. Love. Curry.

This recipe definitely cured my craving for #19 Royal Thai Curry at Royal Thai on Greenville. Oh man!! I can't believe I actually made something very similar to one of my favorite dishes. And I must say that I did it without a recipe so this is my own made up version. I checked a few recipes online just to check to see if there was something major I needed that I didn't have then I went for it.



1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts or tenders
1 medium onion, quartered into chunks
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 medium green bell pepper
5 green onions, chopped
2 large potatoes, peeled, quartered
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 can (14.5) chicken broth
2 tbsp curry powder
olive oil
2 cups basmati rice (cooked as directed on package)

Coat a big skillet or dutch oven with olive oil. Place chicken breasts or tenders in pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove from pan to cool then shred into bite size pieces. Add a little more olive oil to pan then throw in the onion and garlic. Saute for 4-5 minutes or until onions are translucent. Pour in chicken broth and add bell pepper, green onions and potatoes to the pan. Using a wooden spoon, scrape bottom of pan to get all the stuff stuck on the bottom of the pan and stir everything together. Add chicken and curry powder and stir well incorporate powder evenly. Bring to a boil and then cover; Reduce heat to low-medium and let simmer for 10 minutes. Then spoon out about a tablespoon or two of the juice from pan to a small cup. Then add the heaving whipping cream and stir. Then add to pan and stir well to incorporate the cream. Let simmer for another 5 minutes. ** This dish is like a stew so it will be a little soupy. If you want it a little thicker, spoon some of the juice in a small cup with about 1 tablespoon of cornstarch in a and stir into the pan. Serve over the basmati rice.

No comments: