January 3, 2009

Bacon Chocolate Chunk Cookies with Maple Cinnamon Glaze



My husband (Chris) and my best friend (Lesley) love bacon. So I thought I'd try something out of the ordinary just for them. I tried two recipes that were very different. The first turned out very bland and was more like a biscuit than a cookie. I should have known by looking at it that without sugar and vanilla it was going to be a little tasteless. Lesley enjoyed them and took the leftovers home to have with coffee for breakfast. Chris & I didn't like them at all so we were glad that they weren't going to waste. Then I tried another recipe this morning that turned out amazing. It could use more bacon and chocolate but I'll include that in the recipe so that you don't feel cheated. The glaze is optional but it definitely adds another layer of sweetness to the cookie.


Bacon Chocolate Chunk Cookies with Maple-Cinnamon Glaze

6 tbsp butter, softened
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup semisweet or dark chocolate chips (I cut up baking chocolate into chunks and it worked well)
1 cup crumbled cooked bacon (about 1 pound)
Maple-Cinnamon Glaze (recipe follows)

In a large bowl, beat together the butter, sugars and extracts until blended. Then add the egg and mix until incorporated. In another bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and stir together (or mix on low).

Stir in chocolate chunks and crumbled bacon until integrated well.

Create a ball out of the dough and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove dough from fridge. Use a cookie scoop or roll dough into 1 1/2 inch balls. Place dough about 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten dough slightly with fingers by pressing on center. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden. Allow cookies to cool on cooling rack while you make the glaze.

Maple-Cinnamon Glaze
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tbsp maple syrup (best if you use 100% maple syrup)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2-3 tbsp water

Mix all ingredients together until smooth. Add a little water at a time to get a creamy consistency.

Spread a small amount of glaze on top of each cookie. Makes about 18 cookies.

Let me know what you think!!

1 comment:

My Fair Lady said...

This is one recipe I have to try! When Mitch and I were in New York in May, we found a chocolate shop that had a bacon chocolate bar that was their best seller. Mitch is a huge fan of bacon. I will surprise him with these cookies and let you know how they were received! Thanks! :)