February 26, 2013

Meatball Grilled Cheese Goodness

Attention people!  A standard grilled cheese rocks my tastebuds!  But THIS meatball grilled cheese rocked my world.   I used leftover homemade meatballs from the previous night.  You can make your favorite meatballs or use frozen. I highly recommend putting in the effort to make your own meatballs my friends.  It's totally worth it and super simple.  I'm sure you can find a great recipe out there.  Maybe I'll share mine if you're totally nice and leave a comment on this post.


I used shredded cheese vs sliced because I feel it melts much faster.  Plus it's what I had on hand. I served with these new garlic parmesan pretzel crisps I found and they went together perfectly.


2 slices of bread (I used whole wheat)
butter
mozzarella cheese, shredded
parmesan cheese, shredded
meatballs
marinara sauce

Butter both sides of each bread slice.  Preheat skillet over medium-high heat.  Add a small pad of butter to pan and spread around until melted.   Add bread slices to hot pan.  Brown until golden.  Flip over one slice and add a few tablespoons of mozzarella cheese.  Then top cheese with sliced (cooked meatballs). I use about 2-3 meatballs each sliced 3-4 times.  Then top with more mozzarella cheese and a sprinkling of parmesan cheese.  Then top with next slice of bread (hot side down over cheese so it makes the inside all warm and melty).  Press sandwich down with spatula.  Cook until golden on both sides and cheese is melty.

Serve with your favorite marinara sauce.  I like to warm it up in a small dipping bowl in microwave while the last side of my sandwich is browning.   Make sure to cover the bowl with a paper towel so it doesn't splatter everywhere.  It only takes about 20-25 seconds.  Enjoy!

No comments: