August 20, 2011

Bourbon Ribs & Creamed Corn


It's been really hot so we haven't been grilling out as much as we like.  Plus my husband and I have both been super busy and working late at work the last few weeks.  (I can't wait to get a fancy stove one day that has a grill top on one side.  I think it would be used a lot.)  I decided to bear the heat and make some delicious ribs.  And I decided homemade creamed corn would be a great side.  It was my first time to make homemade creamed corn and I feel it turned out just like I had hoped.   I added bacon because it makes everything taste better and my husband loves bacon.  That's just how amazing I am as a wife. 

Everytime I think of ribs, it reminds me of our good friend, Zeus, who left us for the sunny state of California a few years ago. His rib recipe is amazing!  I think he uses Jack Daniel's or some other tasty whiskey.  It's the type of recipe that you crave.  I know it's easy but some things just taste better when someone else makes it.   When he's in town, we all plan a get together at someone's house just so we have an excuse to ask him to make his ribs.  My recipe isn't the same but it's a good alternative until he comes to visit again.  


Bourbon Ribs
1 rack of baby back pork ribs
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 c bourbon
1/2 c BBQ sauce (to brush them with before you throw them on the grill)

Rinse the rack of ribs and pat dry with paper towels.  Lay out a big sheet of aluminum foil and place the ribs on it.  Rub down both sides of your rack with the salt and pepper.  Then pour the olive oil over the top and then the bourbon.  Rub everything in on both sides.  Lay the meaty side down and wrap them up carefully in the aluminum foil.  Adding more foil as needed to cover completely.  Place wrapped ribs on a cookie sheet and put in the fridge. (I like to use the cookie sheet just in case the juices drip out.) Let them sit over night.

When ready to cook, preheat oven to 275 degrees F.  Place ribs and cookie sheet in oven for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until you can pull a piece of the tender meat off with a fork easily.  When cooked to desired tenderness, remove from oven.  If you like a charred or crispy finish, heat up the grill.   Brush both sides with your favorite BBQ sauce.  Place rack of ribs directly on the grill.  Cook until a nice grilled finished on both sides.  About 3-5 minutes per side.


Creamed Corn with Bacon
6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 shallot, finely diced
2 tbsp butter
4 ears of corn, husks and silks removed
1/4 c water
1/2 c heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste
freshly ground nutmeg (approx. 10-15 strokes over the microplane)

Heat a skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the butter and shallots and cook for about 2 minutes.  Add the corn niblets and water and bring to a boil.  Then turn down heat, cover and cook about 10 minutes until corn is tender.   Then add heavy cream, 1/2 of the crumbled bacon, salt and pepper to taste.   Then grind the nutmeg straight into the skillet.   Stir and cook until warmed through.   Sprinkle the remaining crumbled bacon on top just before serving.  Serves 4-6.

1 comment:

Todd Reid said...

The plating photo made my mouth water!!!

I'm going to try that creamed corn some day, anything I can put bacon is works for me!