April 20, 2010

Japanese-Style Crispy Pork

First of all, my picture doesn't do this meal justice so I apologize. Thanks to the May edition of Food Network Magazine, I found this delicious creation.   It's basically schnitzel with a Japanese-style side. Now all I need to do is learn to make the "out of this world" creamy sauces like Jorg's Cafe Vienna and I'll have my own Award Winning Crème Schnitzel.  If you don't know what I'm talking about you must let me know and we will go immediately!  Wow, now I'm craving the Jager Schnitzel. Mmmm. But I'm so serious, if you haven't been there let me know and I will introduce you to heaven in your mouth x10.


1 lb thin-cut boneless pork chops or cutlets, trimmed
kosher salt
2 tbs rice wine, sake or sherry
1 1/2 tsp finely grated peeled ginger
2 medium cucumbers
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp rice wine vinegar
1 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
3 large eggs
2 c panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
3/4 c cornstarch
Peanut oil, for frying
1/4 c tonkatsu sauce ( a sweet-spicy Japanese dipping sauce, sold near the soy sauce; or follow my recipe below to make your own)

If your pork is a little thicker than 1/4 inch, pound it thin with a rolling pin or meat tenderizer.  Season the pork with salt.  Mix the rice wine and1 tsp ginger and spread onto the pork.  Set aside.

Peel, quarter and seed the cucumbers; cut into 4-inch spears.  Toss with the sugar and vinegar.  Then toast the pepper flakes with 1 tbsp salt in a skillet over medium heat, about 4 minutes.  Set aside.

Beat the eggs with 1/2 c water in a shallow bowl.  PUt the panko and cornstarch in 2 separate plates or shallow bowls.  Dredge each piece of pork in cornstarch, dip in egg, then coat with the panko.  Heat 1/4 inch of peanut oil in a large skillet over high heat.  Fry the pork in batches until golden, 3-4 minutes each side.  Place on papertowel-lined plate.

Sprinkle the cucumbers with some of the pepper flake salt. 

Tonkatsu Sauce
2 tbsp ketchup
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp water
remaining 1/2 tsp ginger

Mix together all ingredients in a small bowl.

Serve the sauce with the pork and cucumbers. 

No comments: