January 25, 2010

Cheese Part 3 - Second Main Course

















This is one of those recipes that doesn't sound appealing when you are describing it.  It's a classic southern Italian dish from Palermo.  Rice, cheese, sopressata salami, more cheese.  I wasn't sure about it as I was putting it all together but once it was in the crockpot and all layered and pretty, I thought for sure it would be tasty.   The smell of it cooking all day drove me crazy!  I kept my fingers crossed that it would taste as wonderful as it smelled.    It made enough for me to take to work and share the next day.   Not that I'm biased but this is a perfect side dish for a potluck.



Arancini Casserole

4 c cooked white rice
2 c mascarpone cheese
1 c chicken broth
2 c finely grated pecorino romano cheese
6 oz fresh mozzarella cut into 1/2 in thick slices
6 slices Genoa salami or sopressata, cut into cubes (about 1/3 c when cut)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 c finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
1/4 c extra-virgin olive oil


Coat the insert of the 5-7 quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.  Put the rice, mascarpone, broth and 1 cup of the pecorino in a large bowl and stir to combine.  Put half the rice mixture in the slow-cooker insert.  Layer half the mozzarella and all salami over the rice.  Put the garlic, parsley, oil and the remaining 1 cup pecorino in another small bowl and stir to combine.  Spread half the garlic mixture over the salami.  Layer with the remaining rice mixture, the mozzarella, and the remaining garlic mixture.  Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours until the casserole is heated through.  Remove the cover and cook until liquid in the casserole has been absorbed, an additional 30-45 minutes.  Serve from the cooker set on warm or off.  Serve 6-8.


1 comment:

Kathy said...

I love my slow cooker! I have a bunch of healthy slow cooker recipes that I post on my blog if you're interested.