July 16, 2009

Pasta with Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Sauce




I whipped up this easy and tasty dish tonight. My friend Steph came over to join us for dinner, drinks and adult conversation. I haven't cooked much in the past week as I've been lazy. So this recipe is dedicated to Steph for giving me a reason to cook something. It actually turned out to be really good so I'm proud of myself for making it up as I go and with things I already had on hand.

The most time-consuming thing was the roasted chicken but I roasted it the night before when I got home from work. But if you don't have the time to do it yourself you can always pick one up at the store that is already done. And when you've picked the carcass clean of most of the meat, don't forget to save it and make something delicious like chicken noodle soup or dumplings within the next day or so.

2-3 lb roasted chicken
1 lb pasta of your choice (I used Campanelle)
1/2 c vodka
1 1/2 c heaving whipping cream
4 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 c chicken broth
2 roasted red bell peppers
1 medium onion, diced
3 garlic cloves
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried parsley
cornstarch, optional (to thicken sauce as needed)
salt and pepper to taste

Heat skillet to medium-high with 1 tbsp olive oil and 4 tbsp butter. Dice onion and add to skillet. Saute until transluscent. About 5-6 minutes. In food processor, puree red peppers and garlic. Add to skillet with onion. Bring to a boil. Add chicken broth and vodka and bring to a boil again.

In a large pot, cook pasta as directed on package.

Add basil, parsley, salt and pepper to taste to skillet. Turn heat down to medium-low. Then add heavy cream and let simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring ocassionally. Taste again and add more salt pepper as needed. If you need to thicken sauce, whick in 1 tbsp of cornstarch to the sauce. Simmer for about 2-3 more minutes. Then add cooked chicken and pasta and heat through. (about 5 more minutes) Serve and enjoy!!

No comments: