June 9, 2009

Strawberry Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

















HAPPY BIRTHDAY TI
FMO!!


I whipped up some strawberry cupcakes with cream cheese frosting for TifMo (friend at work). I didn't realize that I haven't actually made homemade strawberry cake or cupcakes before. The thought of fresh strawberries made my mouth water so I had to try it. I love when you try a new recipe and it turns out great the first time around. Disasters are no bueno, especially late at night when you're ready to go to bed. I've got my cream cheese frosting down. It's always delicious when I make it. Not too sweet and you can taste the cream cheesey-ness! Yum!














HOMEMADE STRAWBERRY CUPCAKES
- makes 36 cupcakes

3 c self-rising flour
2 c granulated sugar
3/4 c vegetable oil
1 1/2 c pureed strawberries (I used about 2 cups or one 16 oz. container of fresh strawberries)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon zest
4 large eggs, beaten
red food coloring, optional

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Put cupcake liners in cupcake pans and set aside. Hull strawberries to remove stems. Rinse with water and pat dry with paper towels. Then pulse in food processor until pureed. I like small chunks mine.

In a large bowl add flour, sugar, oil, pureed strawberries, vanilla, lemon zest and eggs. Stir all together with a wooden spoon until combined. If you wish, add red food coloring to give it a little more pink color. I added 5 drops.

Divide batter evenly in each cupcake liner. I used 2 cookie scoops of batter in each. They barely rose above the liner so I would add an extra 1/2 cookie scoop of batter in each if you like them to mound up a little.

Bake for 20 minutes and check with toothpick to see if center is done. If not, put back in and check in 2 minute intervals until toothpick comes out clean.

Put pans on wire rack to cool for about 5 minutes. Remove from pans directly onto wire rack to cool completely while you make the frosting.

CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

8 oz pkg cream cheese frosting, softened
1 stick of butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
Approx 3 cups powdered sugar

Beat cream cheese and butter together until smooth. Slowly add the powdered sugar in 1 cup batches until desired sweetness. I used 2 1/4 cups for mine. Stir in vanilla.

2 comments:

Foodiewife said...

Thank you! I've been looking for a strawberry cake/cupcake recipe that doesn't use a boxed mix. This one looks very promising.

Leslie said...

You gotta love a good strawberry cupcake! So summer-y